Here’s the top 5 for last week.
1. Jonathan and David go to Kilby Correctional. Last week, David and Jonathan ran to Kilby Correctional, where they helped lead / teach reentry classes for men coming out of prison. The Village is one of the few housing programs that can house current inmates with the Department of Corrections, helping them make transition before they are “free.”
2. Jonathan and David and Leslie ride the Harleys into Baldwin Country Prison, Georgia. A few days after the Kilby trip, the two added Leslie to the mix and headed to Baldwin County. In order to gather the crowd into the prison yard, the two were allowed to ride their bikes through the yard, around the dormitories, and build a crowd. Then, they were able to share Christ with the 700 who were there.
3. Charles Griffin gets a new fishing pole. Charles cooks three meals a day in kitchen that runs three meals a day, seven days a week… On his days off, he goes to the fishing pond about a mile from our facility, where he routinely catches fish like the one in the pic above. This past week, the staff chipped in, bought him a new rod. Thanks, Charles, for everything you do!
4. David and Leslie get engaged. The story of how these two staff members met is so strange you’d think it’s purely made up (by the way, he leads the men & she leads the women in the housing program at The Village). I’m sure you’ll hear about it sooner than later, as soon as we get Leslie to share her story at The Grace Church. Anyway, the two were engaged last week during staff meeting. The wedding happens sometime in June. More to come.
5. The Leadership Lunch roles out next Wednesday, May 29, 11:30 am! This is way to connect with local business leaders, neighborhood leaders, and ministry / church leaders. This once-a-month event is always held on the final Wednesday of the month. Details are here.
By the way, if you can’t make the leadership lunch, we have an Open House scheduled the following week on Saturday.